Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Thoughts on hearing from a "General Authority"

As I mentioned, I spent last night listening to Paul Pieper, a mormon "General Authority", a member of the "Seventy". For the mormons present, this was a thrill. For me it was heartbreaking. These people were so earnest, so excited, listening so raptly to a man proclaiming a false gospel and a false god. I took a lot of notes to talk to the missionaries about when they come tomorrow night, most especially on the various ways that Paul Pieper portrayed a gospel of works salvation and human righteousness. Some of the things Pieper said were (speaking of mormons): "You don't know how much power you have in your goodness" and "All mankind can be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel" So they use words like grace when what they mean is a grace that fills in the gap between our own righteousness and God's perfection. Lots of talk last night about making sure that we are "qualified" by our own works to be baptized which equates to being born again. Not a hint of the Biblical doctrine of being born again through the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is relegated to a baptismal gift, given after baptism to be a helper so we know which works we need to perform and which sins we need to repent of so we can clean ourselves.

When I left and went to my car, I wept for a moment. I was overcome by the lostness exhibited and the blasphemy celebrated. I was heartbroken but I was also thankful. I saw starkly how lost I was and how great my Savior is that in spite of my own arrogant self-righteousness He saw fit to save me. The true God, the God of the Bible is a God who saves in spite of works, who saves in spite of our own righteousness. That is the God I worship and that is the God I proclaim. I pray for those who were in attendance last night, for all mormons, for the missionaries, for the false prophets who lead them. If God can save Paul, if God can save me then He certainly can save Paul Pieper and Thomas Monson. It is my prayer that this happens. All praise and honor and glory to Jesus Christ, for He alone is worthy!

And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth." Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!" And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!" And the four living creatures said, "Amen!" and the elders fell down and worshiped. (Rev 5:9-14)

1 comment:

gloria said...

Touching post, Arthur.

My heart breaks for the lost in the LDS faith. I too stand amazed at the goodness of the Lord and His grace, that He chose me and saved me from that false religion and revealed to me who He truly is.It's nothing short of a miracle we both made it out. God is good, and He is doing a great work within the mormon people - many are leaving. Just this past week I had the precious blessing of praying with my former missionary companion to receive the Lord Jesus! What a blessing that was!! Never would have I thought! Generations of mormonism run thru her veins and yet she chose to pray with me to receive Christ. I also spoke to a mormon couple I knew from years back, they now live in Lehi , utah. Last year they were saved!! Amazing! God is working! Many are leaving and coming to a saving knowledge ! Praising what He is doing!

Amazing,
gloria