Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Missionaries coming tonight

The missionaries are coming over tonight for their Tuesday night visit. Not sure who we are going to get because we just passed a missionary swap so I expect to get a new guy tonight. With their schedule of changes we should be able to speak with a ton of different mormon young men throughout the year. The more, the merrier! We are planning on talking about the role of our works in salvation tonight (which was actually suggested by the long serving missionary last week).

Along with the passages in Romans and Galatians that deal with justification by faith alone, I am going to try to work into passages like Micah 6: 6-8 because that also ties in with the idea of the priesthood and the temples, so if we can get to why the mormon priesthood and temple system is nothing like the Old Covenant system. I have tried to get them to look at the covenants but I get blank stares, so that is not terribly fruitful. Here is the passage:

6 “With what shall I come before the Lord,
and bow myself before God on high?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
with calves a year old?
7 Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams,
with ten thousands of rivers of oil?
Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression,
the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?”
8 He has told you, O man, what is good;
and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6: 6-8)


The key to what Micah is saying is that it is not the outward works that God desires but the inward change. You cannot do good works to change your heart, God must change your heart and save you to do good works. That is a common misperception among evangelicals as well, so mormons are not alone in this. It should be a good conversation, please pray for these young men, pray as we do that God would change their hearts and free them from the bondage of self-righteousness that mormonism holds people with.

2 comments:

musicmaiden said...

Thanks for putting together this blog - I found it in a round-about way from Dave Black's blog. I have recently met some people who are Mormons, and am praying for a chance to witness to them. This blog has helped me a lot in understanding Mormonism better.

musicmaiden said...

Thanks for putting together this blog - I found it in a round-about way from Dave Black's blog. I have recently met some people who are Mormons, and am praying for a chance to witness to them. This blog has helped me a lot in understanding Mormonism better.